Having arrived to the city located in the Bay of Biscay and having chosen apartments in San Sebastian where you are going to stay during your holiday, you are ready to explore the city and enjoy sightseeing. San Sebastian offers a lot of opportunities to learn about its history and art, but we will now focus on bridges in San Sebastian. The city lies on the mouth of the river Urumea, which goes through the city.
The first bridge that was built in San Sebastian was the Santa Catalina Bridge. Initially made of wood, the bridge has been destroyed and rebuilt several times in the past. The final version of the bridge that still exists today, together with the lamp posts was finished in 1926.
Zurriola Bridge is closest to the mouth of the river. The bridge was built in 1921. Interesting lamps along the bridge were designed by Víctor Arana in Art Deco style. The bridge is sometimes called Kursaal Bridge as it stands next to the Kursaal Congress Centre and Auditorium, a large complex with several halls and auditoriums. The Palacio de Congresos-Auditorio Kursaal is also part of this complex, and it is especially interesting as the San Sebastian International Film Festival is held here.
María Cristina Bridge was first built in 1893 as a wooden bridge. The purpose of the bridge was to connect downtown with northern part of the city. However, the wooden construction was soon destroyed and the new bridge was introduced in 1905. The opening of the bridge was a great ceremony and the city has organized a special celebration, while introducing the bridge with four obelisks, 18 meters high. The construction of the bridge was inspired by Pont Alexandre III Bridge in Paris. The bridge also has a pedestrian area with lots of sculptures placed alongside.
The Mundaiz Bridge was opened in 2000 and it is interesting as the first bridge in San Sebastian being built with no supports in the river. The bridge is built in a modern style in order to fit the urban like surrounding.
Mikel Laboa Bridge is a footbridge which connects the Riberas de Loiola district with Cristina Enea Park. The bridge is part of the modernization of the Riberas de Loiola district that started in 2000.
The Lehendakari Agirre Bridge is the newest bridge, being opened in 2010. The idea is similar like with the Mundaiz Bridge, as both bridges rest on the banks of the river Urumea, without any support in the river itself. In addition, both bridges exhibit modern design and innovations in building construction.
The Real Sociedad Bridge was introduced the same year, being built in the place of old Iron Bridge. The purpose of the original bridge was allowing trains the passage towards the station in the northern part of the city, but the bridge was taken down in 2008 in order to be replaced by a new bridge. The new bridge is much larger and allows greater traffic flow, due to more tracks.